Dukinfield Bridge

Stayley Bridge

Stayley Hall

Hyde Hall - Hyde

Dukinfield Hall

Fairfield Moravian Settlement



SATURDAY 10th MARCH 2018 at 11:00am
St George's Parish Church, Stamford Street, Mossley, Tameside, OL5 0LP

St. George's Church is a Grade II listed building, it was completed in 1882 on the site of an earlier Chapel dating to 1755. Built to plans by the Manchester architects, Alfred Hugh Davies-Colley and John Brook with the tower added in 1887. Of note is the 'Last Supper' reredos carved from alabaster. There are also some notable stained glass windows. Some are by the Belgium Company of Comere and by Capronnier, and others by Franz Mayer & Co. of Munich. The west end has three windows by the noted Salford firm of George Wragge, there is also a window by William Morris of Westminster. In the Church Room is an interesting memorial of 1776 to Catherine Kenworthy, the daughter of a notable 18th century Mossley family; this was taken from the original church. In the graveyard fixed to the scant remains of the 1755 church is a memorial to a drummer boy who served in the Peninsular War. This was also originally inside the 18th century church.

SATURDAY 9th JUNE 2018 at 11.00am
St Michael & All Angels Parish Church, Church St, Ashton-under-Lyne, OL6 6XJ

St Michael & All Angels is the original parish for a large area around Ashton-under-Lyne with the first recorded reference to a building on this site in 1262 but it is thought that there was a church here before 1066. It is likely that St Michael's is the other local church mentioned in the Domesday Book alongside what is now Manchester Cathedral. The present building traditionally dates from 1413 but much of the structure was altered and re-built in Victorian times-the tower of 1886-88 by Joseph S Crowther is said to be based on that of Manchester Cathedral.

The building is in the Perpendicular style with the large windows associated with that style. St Michael's windows hold what are thought to be the best surviving examples of 15th Century glass in the country. The glass includes twenty panels based on the life of St Helena and these panels are the most ambitious surviving example of the St Helena cycle. They were the gift of the Assheton family between 1497 and 1512 and were originally in the east window being moved to the south aisle in1872. The east window was filled with new lass by James Ballantyne & Sons of Edinburgh.

The 1840's interior furnishings provide a rare surviving example of a late auditory arrangement with box pews facing a three-decker pulpit which is placed part way along the north aisle arcade with the pews to the east of it facing it with their backs to the chancel. The present woodwork, particularly the pulpit, contains timber and carving from an earlier arrangement. The organ is by William Hill & Son of London and was built in1845 and enlarged in 1889. St Michael's was the venue for one of the Society's very early visits in 2007 but the Friends of St Michael's have invited to re-visit to see work completed over the last ten years or so.

Makes a note of the dates, - come along, - bring a friend & a packed lunch ALL ARE WELCOME

Revd Brian Hartley - Chair & Secretary
The Greater Manchester Churches Preservation Society
21 Penryn Avenue
Tel: 01706 849132
Website: www.manchesterchurches.btck.co.uk